Meatless Mondays are a great way to save money, eat healthier and reduce our carbon foot print. Did you know that if all Americans gave up meat for ONE DAY each week, this would be equivalent to removing 19.2 million cars from the US roads for one year? That is a huge carbon saving!
Here at Kitchen Chatters, we want to start providing you with easy, health conscious and money saving recipes that you can add to your meatless Mondays. We promise you won’t miss your meat with these delicious meals.
Who says quiche is just for breakfast?! It’s such an easy and pleasing meal to enjoy for dinner as well. Packed with protein to help you feel full and satisfied for your meat free meal.
The fillings for this easy quiche are endless…. REALLY! Whatever you have on hand could work. We’ll share 4 different options to choose from or to help inspire you for something different. This quiche will be a household favorite, guaranteed.
• ½ cup soy/almond/or cow’s milk
• 6 extra-large eggs or 7 large eggs
• 1 tsp baking powder
• Salt and pepper taste
• Optional: stir in cheese of your choice in with this mixture.
Whisk all ingredients together until it becomes a smooth, custard like consistency. Evenly spread our your filling in a lightly greased quiche or pie dish, pour egg mix over the filling. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the quiche has fully cooked.
Enjoy with a side salad or crusty bread.
Filling option one:
• Caramelize 1-2 red onions by sautéing in a bit of olive oil, a touch of balsamic vinegar, and a teaspoon of sugar. Once the onions reach a fragrant, dark brown, soft consistency (at least 20 minutes for maximum sweet flavor) throw in some sliced red pepper and zucchini. Sauté until the added veg turns slightly soft. Add (dethawed) corn kernels for some texture. Optional: feta cubes go great with this mix; just stir in with the egg mix before combining with the filling.
Filling option two:
• Cube up half a butternut, slice half an onion and a good handful of mushrooms. Spread on a roasting tray, lightly coat with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper and roast at 350 Fahrenheit for about 20-30 minutes. Once this has roasted, combine with your egg mixture.
Filling option three:
• Sauté sliced mushroom, broccoli and baby spinach. Add cubed feta to the egg mix before combining with the filling.
Filling option four:
• Boil 1 cup cherry tomatoes in lightly salted water until the skin begins to slightly crack. Remove from water and let them cool down until they are easy to touch. Peel the tomatoes skins; place the peeled cherry tomatoes to a pan, sauté with a bit of olive oil and a touch of sea salt. Sauté just enough to lessen the liquid of the tomatoes. Once that’s done, scatter into your quiche pan with freshly chopped basil. Mix mozzarella in with your egg mixture. Enjoy this caprese quiche!