Mac and cheese has to be one of the most popular dishes in the country. This recipe is a healthy twist that is made completely from vegan ingredients, yet tastes incredible. Thankfully you can find the majority of these ingredients in the average grocery store with a health food section. This one might take a little extra time to make, but the smiles on your family’s faces will be well worth the effort.
- 1 x 15 ounce can cooked chickpeas (drain and rinse)
- 1/4 Cup Buffalo wing sauce (add 1 to 2 tablespoons to season to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons Plain Vegan Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Raw cashews that have been soaked for at least half an hour
- 1 Tablespoon Soy or almond milk
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 Dried parsley
- Pinch each: Salt, black pepper, dried dill
- 2 1/2 Cups pasta in boiling water
- 1 Tube of Cheddar cheese alternative
- 3/4 Cups Soy or almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Cups of lettuce chopped (romaine works best)
- 1 to 2 stalks of celery chopped
Roasting the Chickpeas
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Add the chickpeas and 1/4 cup of your favorite buffalo sauce to a bowl and toss lightly until they are evenly coated with the sauce. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the chickpeas on it. Slide into the oven and bake for 12 minutes, remove the sheet and turn them over with a spoon to help bake them evenly. The idea is to get the chickpeas nice and crispy. When done place back in the bowl and toss with the extra buffalo sauce. Set aside for use later.
Making the Ranch Dressing
Add all of the ingredients to a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may have to do this a couple of times and add a little more of the soy/almond milk to get the right consistency. Pour the mixture into a squirt bottle for later use.
Making the Pasta
Boil your pasta in accordance with the instructions until it reaches the right texture. Rinse off with cold water after draining. Return the noodles to your pot, and add in the tube of cheddar cheese alternative, soy/almond milk, vegan butter, and salt. Stir the mixture until everything is evenly coated.
Right before you are ready to serve this dish, toss in the lettuce and celery and serve immediately. Place about 1/4 cup of the roasted chickpeas on top of each serving, and add a healthy drizzle of the ranch dressing and a little more of the buffalo sauce.